Have you heard of technical editing but are you not sure if you need it? Are you an experienced designer in need of a set of extra eyes on your work or perhaps a full tech edit as soon as possible?
Please don’t hesitate to contact me through the contact form below!
I offer technical editing services for knitting and crochet patterns in both English and Dutch. I have experience as a designer in both crafts. I particularly enjoy editing (and designing) shawls and accessories like cowls but am of course also available for editing other types of patterns. I have completed Joeli’s “Learn to Tech Edit” course to solidify my editing skills.
As a result, I am able to help you publish patterns that are technically correct and professional.
During the technical editing process, the following is included:
- The accuracy of mathematics, sizing, stitch counts, and grading in your pattern.
- Review the pattern for punctuation and grammar.
- A check that the pattern is complete and not missing important information.
- Review the pattern for clarity and general consistency, making certain the instructions are as clear as possible. This includes the comparison to a style sheet, if available.
- Check that written instructions match charts and schematics when applicable.
- Confirm that the pattern is consistent with the item as shown in the photographs.
- A final review of your pattern after the editing has been completed is also included!
Furthermore, if desired I can also provide the following services:
- Create charts from written instructions using StitchMastery for knitting charts and a crochet font in conjunction with Inkscape for crochet charts.
- Create written instructions from charts.
- Develop style sheets.
- Create vector schematics.
- Translate patterns from English to Dutch and vice versa.
- Set-up and update pattern or designer pages on various publishing platforms (Ravelry, Etsy, Craftsy, Patternfish, etc.).
- Schedule and set up ads and posts on social media and WordPress websites.
- Various other services as a Virtual Assistant, please contact me to discuss options.
What to expect…
- My current rate for technical editing services is € 20 per hour billed in 15-minute increments. Simple accessories will take one to two hours, complex garments may take three to five hours. After you send me your pattern I can give you an estimate of the time it will take to edit. Ask about my new client discount!
- Payment by Paypal or bank transfer. The invoice will be sent after the job is fully completed and we are both satisfied with the results.
- Review of the pattern in either a Word file or PDF with comments and suggestions.
- Turnaround time is usually within 1 week for standard edits.
- For EU clients without a VAT number as well as for all clients in the Netherlands 21% VAT is applicable and will be added to the invoice. Clients within the EU, please send me your VAT number if you have one.
- Please contact me through the contact form below for a quote on Additional Services.
Currently, I’m accepting new clients, new designers are of course also welcome. The first step is to fill in the contact form below. You can expect a reply within one or two business days. In addition, I am happy to provide a cost estimate for your approval before beginning work on your pattern.
I’m looking forward to working with you!