Have you heard of technical editing but are you not sure if you need it? Are you an experienced designer in need of a set of extra eyes on your work or perhaps a full tech edit as soon as possible?
Please don’t hesitate to contact me through the contact form below!
I offer technical editing services for knitting and crochet patterns in both English and Dutch. I have experience as a designer in both crafts. I particularly enjoy editing (and designing) shawls and other accessories like cowls but am, of course, also available for editing other types of patterns. I have completed Joeli’s “Learn to Tech Edit” course to solidify my editing skills.
Also, in my “other career” I write and review grant applications for R&D projects for a wide range of tech companies. Attention to detail and consistency are a very important part of getting approval on applications filed.
As a result, I am able to help you publish patterns that are technically correct and professional.
During the technical editing process, the following is included:
- The accuracy of mathematics, sizing, stitch counts, and grading in your pattern.
- Review the pattern for punctuation and grammar.
- A check that the pattern is complete and not missing important information.
- Review the pattern for clarity and general consistency, making certain the instructions are as clear as possible. This includes the comparison to a style sheet, if available.
- Check that the written instructions match charts and schematics when applicable.
- Confirm that the pattern is consistent with the item as shown in the photographs.
Furthermore, if desired I can also provide the following services:
- Create charts from written instructions using StitchMastery for knitting charts. For crochet charts I use Inkscape.
- Develop style sheets.
- Create vector schematics.
- Translate patterns from English to Dutch and vice versa.
Please contact me through the contact form below for a quote on Additional Services.
What to expect…
- Review of the pattern in either a word processor file (Word or LibreOffice) or PDF format. In word processor files the “track changes” feature is used in conjunction with comments to provide feedback and suggestions. For PDF annotations I use Foxit Reader.
- Turnaround time for the first review is usually 2-5 days for standard edits.
- When you’ve published your pattern, I’ll share your new pattern post on my Instagram and Facebook accounts. Do send me your usernames if you would appreciate this!
- My current rate for technical editing services is € 25 per hour billed in 15-minute increments. Simple accessories will take one to two hours, complex garments may take three to five hours. After you send me your pattern I can give you an estimate of the time it will take to edit. Ask about my new client discount!
- Payment by Paypal or bank transfer (the latter for people situated in the Netherlands). The invoice will be sent after the job is fully completed and we are both satisfied with the results.
- I’m situated in the Netherlands but am using a tax scheme that exempts the invoices for my services from VAT. Therefore no VAT will be included for both EU clients and other clients world-wide.
Currently, I’m accepting new clients, new designers are of course also welcome. The first step is to fill in the contact form below. You can expect a reply within one or two business days. In addition, I am happy to provide a cost estimate for your approval before beginning work on your pattern.
I’m looking forward to working with you!