Inspired by the Dutch seafarers of old, this shawlette owes its distinct asymmetrical shape to the “bezaan” sail of the boats which sail the Zuiderzee. The waters of the Zuiderzee are often treacherous during stormy weather with the winds blowing its waves into dark gray ridges before breaking into heavy froth on the Dutch shores.
The textures of the moving waters are translated into the ridged body pattern and simple lace edging and border. Bezaan: a very different one skein shawl.
Pay what you want: (minimum €6.50)
Stitches used include knit, purl, kfb, M1, yo, p2tog, k2tog tbl. The pattern is suitable for the advanced beginner.
- Knit sideways from tip to tip
- One size – easily adjustable
- Written for a gauge of approx. 18.5 sts / 24 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over body pattern
- Pattern languages included: English and Dutch (Dit patroon omvat zowel een Nederlandse als een Engelse versie)
- Digital PDF has 3 pages (A4 size)
Materials needed for Bezaan
- 400-420 m (437 – 459 yds) / 100 g fingering weight yarn.
- A circular needle size 4 mm (US #6), 80 cm (32 inches) long.
- Yarn needle
- 4 stitch markers