The bold circle (“cirkel” in Dutch) featured in the border inspired the Cirkels shawl design. This wonderful eye catching lace reminds me of the bridges of Paris, crossing the Seine.
Knit Cirkels sideways from tip to tip. Increases/decreases are worked one stitch every other row, creating a shallow triangle. The lace border features triple yarn overs, giving it its distinct circles. Because the border is knit at the same time as the body of the shawl, the time needed for finishing is minimal.
This pattern features a stockinette body with a simultaneously knit garter stitch lace edging. Stitches used include knit, purl, k2tog, kfb, M1, yo, triple yo and a centered double decrease. This pattern is suitable for the intermediate knitter.
Size and finished measurements
Wingspan of 145 cm (57 inches) and a depth of 50 cm (20 inches), measured after blocking.
- Written for a gauge of 18 sts / 20 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over stockinette after blocking, gauge is however not critical in this design.
- Pattern languages included: English and Dutch (Dit patroon omvat zowel een Nederlandse als een Engelse versie)
- Digital PDF has 4 pages in the English version and pages for the Dutch version (A4 size)
- 420 m (460 yds) / 100 g Regia 4 fädig / 4 ply sock yarn [75% wool, 25% nylon; 210 m (230 yds) / 50 g skein]. Substitute any fingering weight yarn for a similar result.
- A circular needle size 4 mm (US #6), 80 cm (32 inch) long.
- Yarn needle
- 1 stitch marker