Octaaf is a stylish triangular shawl knit sideways, with all-over lace patterning. I named it after the verse form consisting of eight lines of poetry. While I made my version in a DK weight yarn, it’s very easy to customize to other weights and quantities of yarn. Just knit in pattern until your shawl has the desired size, or when you run out of yarn!
The pattern contains both fully written out as well as charted instructions for the lace.
Pay what you want: (minimum €6.50)
Sizes and measurements
Finished dimensions of the sample shawl: Span width of 201 cm (79 inches) along the upper edge and a depth of 88 cm (34 ½ inches), measured after blocking.
The size of the Octaaf shawl can be changed by using lighter or heavier yarn and/or working less (or more) repeats of the body patterning. This will, of course, change the amount of yarn needed.
- Worked flat and sideways.
- Written for a gauge of 12 sts / 20 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over body pattern measured after blocking. However, gauge is not critical in this design.
- Pattern language: English.
- Digital PDF has 4 pages (letter size)
Manos del Uruguay Silk Blend (70% Merino, 30% Silk; 137 m (150 yds) / 50 g) in the following colors and amounts:
- C1: 137 m (150 yds) / 50 g in “Mallard”
- C2: 137 m (150 yds) / 50 g in “Steel”
- C3: 274 m (300 yds) / 100 g in “Virgo”
Substitute single ply type wool or wool/silk DK weight yarn of comparable thickness in a solid or tonal color for a similar result.
- Size 4.5 mm (US 7) / 80 cm (32 inches) circular needles. Choose a needle size appropriate for the yarn selected.
- Yarn needle.
- Stitch markers to indicate repeats of the lace patterning (optional).