Sometimes when I think of summer, I get this picture of a turquoise sea, rolling gently over a white sandy beach. Imagine the heat of the sun and the cool breeze carrying the scent of salt. This image of summer bliss is what inspired me to design the Zomer Zilt shawl, which is just right to throw on when the sun goes down and the air becomes a tad chilly. Knitted from the top down, with only 100 g of fingering weight yarn, it’s the perfect summer project.
This design features broomstick lace, so called because it is similar to lace created with a broomstick and crochet hook. It is worked over two rows: on the first row, the yarn is wrapped twice around the needle between each knit stitch. On the next row, the wraps are dropped to create elongated stitches, which are worked in groups of four.
Pay what you want: (minimum €6.50)
Zomer Zilt features knitted broomstick lace as well as various increases and decreases. Stitches used include knit, purl, k2tog tbl, kfb, M1R, M1L, yo and double yo. This pattern is suitable for the intermediate knitter.
- No sewing
- One size – easily adjustable
- Pattern languages included: English, German and Dutch (Dit patroon omvat zowel een Nederlandse, Duitse als een Engelse versie)
- Digital PDF has 4 pages (letter size) for the English version (updated pattern format per August 2023), and 3 pages (A4 size) for the other versions.
- 100 g fingering (sock) weight yarn. Yarn used in sample: Hand dyed sock yarn by “Atelier Kleurrijk Vilt” [75% wool, 25% polyamide; 333 m (364 yds) / 100 g skein]. Substitute any fingering weight yarn for a similar result.
- Circular needle size 4 mm (US 6), 80 cm (32 inches)
- Yarn needle
- 4 stitch markers