Kanta is Swedish for “braid” and for “edge.” What name is more suited for this unusual hat? Not only is the Kanta hat is knitted sideways in garter stitch, but the braided edge detail also does not involve any cable knitting. This is a lovely knit when looking for something different!
This pattern contains instructions for three sizes, ranging from child to adult. The hat pictured is in the largest size. A photo tutorial on how to work the braid is included.
The Kanta Hat is started with a provisional cast-on. Other techniques used consist of short rows, mid-row bind off and cast-on of stitches, and a 3-needle bind off. The eye-catching braid does not involve cable knitting.
Stitches used include knit, purl and slipping stitches. This pattern is suitable for the intermediate knitter.
Sizes and finished measurements
To fit size: 45 (53, 61) cm / 17 ¾ (20 ¾, 24) inches.
Finished size: 40 (48, 56) cm / 15 ¾ (19, 22) inches circumference, after washing and gentle blocking.
When choosing your hat size, take 2.5 – 5 cm (1 – 2 inches) of negative ease into account for a fitted hat. For a more slouchy fit, take approx. 0 – 2.5 cm (0 – 1 inch) of positive ease into account.
- Gauge: approx. 13 sts / 20 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over garter stitch, after washing and gentle blocking.
- Pattern languages included: English and Dutch (Dit patroon
omvat zowel Nederlandse een als Engelse een ) versie
- Digital PDF has 4 pages (letter size)
- Yarn: 65 (95, 125) m (70 (105, 140) yds) / 65 (95, 125) g Garnstudio DROPS Andes [65% wool, 35% alpaca; 100 m (109 yds) per 100 g]. Substitute any wool or wool-blend super bulky weight yarn for a similar result.
- Knitting needles in your preferred style in the following sizes (or to match gauge): Size 5 mm (US 8) needles, and an extra size 5 mm (US 8) needle for working the 3-needle bind off.
- Waste yarn for provisional cast-on
- Yarn needle
- 1 stitch marker
- 1 button with a diameter of approx. 4.5 cm (1 ¾ inch)
- 1 crochet hook in size 8 mm (US L) (optional, for braiding)