Mossy Cables is a cozy triangular shawl knit sideways, with an eye-catching cable panel. The squishy garter stitch makes it perfect to hide away in, when it’s cold outside. While I made my version in a DK weight yarn, it’s very easy to customize to other weights and quantities of yarn. Just knit in pattern until your shawl has the desired size, or when you run out of yarn!
The pattern contains both fully written out as well as charted instructions for the cable panel.
Pay what you want: (minimum €6.50)
This pattern features a cable panel, with cables worked over 2 stitches, as well as cables worked over 10 stitches. Directions for part of the body are written separately from the cable panel instructions, and must be read together to work each row. Techniques used include knitting cables with a cable needle. Stitches used include knit, purl, and kfb. This pattern is suitable for the intermediate to advanced knitter.
Sizes and finished measurements
Finished dimensions of the sample shawl: span width of 180 cm (71 inches) along the upper edge and a depth of 78 cm (30 ¾ inches), measured after blocking.
Change the size of the shawl by using heavier or lighter weight yarn and/or working fewer (or more) repeats of the body, the border, or both. This will, of course, change the amount of yarn needed.
- Mossy Cables is written for a gauge of approx. 10.5 sts / 20 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over garter stitch, measured after blocking. Gauge is however not critical in this design.
- Pattern languages included: English.
- Digital PDF has 6 pages (letter size)
591 m (645 yds) / 300 g Wayfaring Yarns Arcadia DK (100% Merino; 197 m (215 yds) / 100 g) in “Portobello Road”.
This yarn and pattern are also available as a kit from Sweater Sisters!
Substitute a smooth DK weight yarn of comparable thickness in a tonal color for a similar result.
- Size 4.5 mm (US 7) / 80 cm (32 inches) circular needles were used for the sample shawl. Choose a needle size appropriate for the yarn selected.
- Yarn needle
- 2 cable needles
- 2 stitch markers to indicate the cable panel
- Stitch markers to indicate repeats of the cable patterning (optional)