Originally published as an exclusive design inside Issue #20 of Happily Hooked Magazine, the Paris Pillbox Hat & Cowl is now also available directly from La Visch Designs! The hat in this set is in the pillbox shape reminiscent of the Forties and Fifties of the previous century. A most stylish way of keeping your head warm! To complete the set there is also a matching cowl.
The Paris Pillbox Hat and Cowl are worked from the top down and feature an eye-catching textured stitch pattern.
This pattern is written in American English crochet terminology.
Size and finished measurements
Hat: Sizes S (M, L): 48.5 (58, 65) cm (19 (23 ¾, 26 ½) inches) circumference.
Cowl: Sizes S (M, L): 67 (84, 101) cm (26 (33, 40) inches) circumference and 20 cm (8 inches) high.
Techniques used consist of puff stitches, dc, dc increases, sc, bphdc and ch stitches. Because of this, the pattern is suitable for the intermediate crocheter.
- Worked in the round
- Gauge Hat: 14 sts / 11.4 rounds = 10 cm / 4 inches measured over dc in the crown of the hat.
- Gauge Cowl: Gauge is not critical in this cowl design. For the sample cowl: 12.6 sts / 9 rounds = 10 cm (4 inches) in stitch pattern (after blocking).
- Pattern language is English
- Digital PDF has 4 pages (letter size)
- Yarn: Garnstudio DROPS Alaska (100% wool; 69 m (75 yards) / 50 g) in red 01 in the following quantities:
Hat: 94 (114, 135) m (103 (125, 148) yds) or 2 (2, 2) balls of yarn.
Cowl: 175 (220, 265) m (190 (240, 285) yds) or 3 (4, 4) balls of yarn.
Substitute for any aran weight yarn for a similar result.
- Crochet hook Hat: 5 mm / US # H-8 (or size to get gauge).
- Crochet hook Cowl: 6 mm / US # J-10.
- Yarn needle
- 1 removable stitch marker to indicate the end of rounds (optional)