Sometimes, you just want a knit that quickly gives results. This design uses aran weight yarn, which definitely delivers on that! The patterning in the Psychedelica shawl may look challenging, but if you’ve ever knit lace, you can absolutely work this too.
This shawl is knit from the top-down in one piece, starting at the neck edge with a garter tab. The instructions for the psychedelic patterning are both charted and written out.
Pay what you want: (minimum €6.95)
The Psychedelica shawl is worked from the top-down, starting with a garter tab cast-on. The psychedelic patterning is worked on both the RS and the WS of the work. Stitches used include knit, knit tbl, purl, purl tbl, m1bl, k2tog, k2tog tbl, skp, p2tog, and p2tog tbl.
This pattern is therefor suitable for the intermediate to advanced knitter.
Sizes and finished measurements
One size: Span width of 215 cm (84 ¾ inches) measured along the upper edge, and a depth of 99 cm (39 inches), measured after blocking.
Adjust the size of this shawl by using lighter or heavier yarn and/or working fewer (or more) repeats of the various sections of the shawl. This will, of course, change the amount of yarn needed.
- Gauge: Approx. 10 sts / 19 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over striped stockinette, measured after blocking. Gauge is not critical in this design, but should give you a fabric that you like with the yarn used.
- Pattern languages included: English.
- Digital PDF has 5 pages (letter size)
Garnstudio Drops Big Fabel (75% wool, 25% nylon; 150 m (164 yds) / 100 g) in the following colors and quantities:
- C1: 450 m (492 yds) / 300 g) in 105 – turquoise
- C2: 300 m (328 yds) / 200 g) in 102 – green
This particular yarn is discontinued, but could be substituted with Garnstudio Drops Big Merino (100% wool; 75 m (82 yds) / 50 g). Substitute a plied aran weight yarn in solid or tonal colors for a similar result.
- Size 4.5 mm (US 7) / 100 cm (40 inches) circular needles were used for the sample shawl. Use needles appropriate for the yarn chosen.
- Yarn needle.
- 4 stitch markers to indicate the center stitch and the edge stitches.
- Stitch markers to use in between patterning repeats (optional).