The gorgeous color of this kid silk yarn reminded me of the wonderfully bright plumage of the Strawberry Finch, a cute little bird found throughout Asia. What better way to show it off this gorgeous yarn than with all-over lace? Of course, this shawl can also be knit in fingering-weight yarn.
The Strawberry Finch shawl is knitted in lace patterning from the top-down in one piece, starting at the neck edge with a garter tab. The instructions are provided charted and written out.
Pay what you want: (minimum €6.50)
Patterning in the body of the shawl is on both RS and WS rows. Stitches used include knit, purl, yo, k2tog, skp, purl 1 below, bunny ears yo, and a centered double decrease. This pattern is therefor suitable for the intermediate to advanced knitter.
Sizes and finished measurements
Finished dimensions of the sample shawl: span width of 180 cm (71 inches) along the upper edge and a depth of 78 cm (30 ¾ inches), measured after blocking.
Change the size of the shawl by using heavier or lighter weight yarn and/or working fewer (or more) repeats of the body, the border, or both. This will, of course, change the amount of yarn needed.
- Strawberry Finch is written for a gauge of approx. 11.1 sts / 19.4 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over body pattern, measured after blocking. Gauge is however not critical in this design.
- Pattern languages included: English.
- Digital PDF has 5 pages (letter size)
420 m (459 yds) / 50 g WayfaringYarns Sophia (72% brushed superkid mohair, 28% mulberry silk; 420 m (459 yds) / 50 g) in the color “Fuschia”.
Substitute any mohair type yarn with a halo of a similar lace weight for a similar result. Of course, this design can also be worked in a regular fingering weight yarn.
- Size 5 mm (US 6) / 80 cm (32 inches) circular needles were used for the sample shawl. If using fingering weight yarn with less halo, needles in size 4 mm (US 6) are suggested.
- 4 stitch markers to indicate the center and edge stitches.
- Stitch markers to indicate repeats of the lace patterning (optional).
- Yarn needle.