The Ribbon Turquoise shawl is not only named for the wavy ribbons of brown and turquoise shown. The name also refers to how the semi-precious stone is cut. Turquoise forms in veins of various widths within the surrounding rock. It’s called “ribbon turquoise” when the stone is cut to show the mother rock as the main feature with the original vein or ribbon of turquoise running through it as an accent.
Ribbon Turquoise is a triangle shawl worked from the top-down in one piece, starting at the neck with a garter stitch tab. The instructions for the lace are provided both charted and written out.
Knit this triangle-shaped shawl from the top-down, starting with a garter tab cast-on. Stitches used include knit, purl, k2tog, skp, yo, double yo, left-leaning and right-leaning double decreases. This pattern is suitable for the intermediate to advanced knitter.
Sizes and finished measurements
One size – finished dimensions: 205 cm (80 ¾ inches) along the upper edge and a depth of 100 cm (39 ½ inches), measured after blocking.
Change the size of the shawl by using heavier or lighter weight yarn and/or working fewer (or more) repeats of the body patterning or the garter stitch edging. This will, of course, change the amount of yarn needed.
- Gauge: approx. 12 sts / 21 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over garter stitch, after blocking.
- Pattern languages included: English and Dutch (Dit patroon omvat zowel een Nederlandse als een Engelse versie)
- Digital PDF has 5 pages in the English version and 6 pages in the Dutch version (letter size)
- Yarn: Handmaiden Alpaca Merino (70% Superwash merino, 30% Alpaca; 300 m (328 yds) / 100 g) in the following amounts and colors: MC: 300 m (328 yds) / 100 g in Topaz and CC: 300 m (328 yds) / 100 g Brown Sugar. This yarn and pattern are also available as a kit from Sweater Sisters! Substitute any 2-ply wool/alpaca blend DK or sport weight yarn for a similar result, or use a fingering weight yarn for a smaller shawl.
- Sample shawl: size 4.5 mm (US 7) / 80 cm (32 inches) circular needles. Choose a needle size appropriate for the yarn selected.
- Yarn needle.
- 4 stitch markers to indicate the center stitch and the edge stitches.
- Stitch markers to indicate repeats in the lace patterning (optional).