The Ayamaru Cowl, with its distinct texture resembling scales, is named after the Ayamaru rainbowfish. This cowl is designed to make the most of that one special skein of hand dyed fingering weight yarn.
The diagonal scallop stitch featuring in the body of the cowl shows off the many colors often present in hand dyed yarns. The garter stitch Latvian Twist edge gives a lovely finish and prevents the fabric from rolling. Wear the larger size as a big loop to show off your yarn and stitching, or doubled up for optimal warmth. Pick the smaller size for a closer fitting cowl.
Create your own Ebook! Purchase any 4 patterns and receive a 5th one for free. No code necessary, just put 5 patterns in your cart and the price of the lowest priced pattern will be automatically deducted from the total.
This cowl is knit in the round and requires Kitchener stitch (grafting). This pattern contains a photo tutorial on how to work a Latvian Twist edge. This pattern is suitable for the intermediate knitter.
Sizes and Finished Measurements
Available in 2 sizes S (L) – finished dimensions: 22 cm (8 ½ inch) wide x 58 (116) cm (23 (45 ½) inch) circumference, measured after blocking.
- Worked in the round
- Written for a gauge of approx. 22 sts / 36 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) on smaller needles in Scallop Stitch pattern, measured after blocking
- Pattern languages included: English and Dutch (Dit patroon omvat zowel een Nederlandse als een Engelse versie)
- Digital PDF has 3 pages (A4 size)
- 50 (100) g / 204 (407) m (223 (445) yds) of fingering weight yarn
- 2 size 4 mm (US Size 6) 80 cm (24″) circular needles, one for grafting
- Needles one size larger than size to obtain gauge, for cast on only
- Yarn needle
- 1 “end-of-round” stitch marker
- Piece of waste yarn (approx. 1 m / 1.1 yds)