Worked in this lovely fade yarn, hand-dyed by AG2N Hand Dyed Yarns, the Full Fade Hap makes for a wonderful, cozy shawl, which is perfect to wrap up in on a chilly day. This shawl is made in the tradition of the shawls from the Shetland Isles, making for a very interesting construction.
Start the Full Fade Hap at one corner of the center square and increase until big enough, then decrease. Pick up stitches along the edges, and work the stunning border outwards. Each color band in its own lace patterning. The shawl is finished with a gorgeous edging that is knitted on sideways and attached to the live stitches of the border as it is being worked.
Want to knit this shawl in the smaller, triangular version? Take a look a the Half Fade Hap!
This shawl is worked both flat back and forth as in the round. Techniques used include working a knitted-on edging and grafting remaining stitches together using Kitchener stitch. Stitches used include knit, purl, yo, k2tog, k3tog, skp, and various double decreases.
This pattern is suitable for the intermediate to advanced knitter.
Sizes and finished measurements
Finished dimensions of the sample shawl: 146 cm (57 ½ inches) square, measured after blocking.
- Gauge: approx. 12.7 sts / 25 rows = 10 cm (4 inches) over the center square, measured after blocking Gauge is not critical in this design.
- Pattern languages included: English and Dutch (Dit patroon omvat zowel een Nederlandse als een Engelse versie)
- Digital PDF has 8 pages (letter size)
AG2N Hand Dyed Yarns Softy Sock Fingering (75% Merino, 25% Nylon; 422 m (462 yds) / 100 g) in the following colors and amounts:
C1: 211 m (231 yds) / 50 g in “Fade 1”
C2: 211 m (231 yds) / 50 g in “Fade 2”
C3: 211 m (231 yds) / 50 g in “Fade 3”
C4: 211 m (231 yds) / 50 g in “Fade 4”
C5: 211 m (231 yds) / 50 g in “Fade 5”
C6: 422 m (462 yds) / 100 g in “Fade 6”
Substitute wool fingering weight yarn of comparable thickness, in a fade sequence for a similar result, or with 1477 m (1617 yds) / 350 g yarn in a single color.
- Size 4 mm (US Size 6) 80 cm (32 inches) or longer circular needle.
- Extra needle in size 4 mm (US Size 6) for the applied edging and grafting.
- Yarn needle
- 7 stitch markers to denote the corner stitches/quarter sections
- 1 differently colored “end-of-round” stitch marker
- Stitch markers to denote repeats of the lace patterning (optional)
- Waste yarn for provisional cast-on